This year has been a tough one, as I finish up my masters, work, and still find time to spend with my kids. With everything that’s going on, I just haven’t had the time to bake like I’m used to. In spite of all that, I’m trying to find ways to enjoy treats in my favorite fall flavors before it’s too late, which brings me to this pumpkin silk pie.
This is inspired by French silk pies, which have to be the smoothest, most decadent chocolate pie around. I love the texture and the richness of a French silk. That seemed like the perfect concept on which to build a no-bake Thanksgiving pie. The smooth texture and deep flavor of a silk pie is what I tried to capture in this, so prepare yourself for decadent pumpkin flavor.
French silk pies use a standard pie crust, but I am an absolute sucker for a graham cracker crust, and I wanted the entire recipe to be no-bake. I used honey graham crackers for the crust (which is maybe my favorite part), but cinnamon graham crackers or even gingersnaps would be delicious as well!
A few tips and tricks before you hop into the recipe: First, make absolutely, positively sure that your cream cheese is room temperature before you try this. If it’s still cold, you’ll get cream cheese lumps that are nearly impossible to get rid of, which will ruin the silkiness of the pie. If you do forget, you can microwave your pumpkin/cream cheese mixture in 15 second bursts to try to melt the cream cheese down. This is tricky to get right, so making sure the cream cheese is at room temperature is your best bet.
This pie can be frozen after it sets, just wrap it with Saran wrap and place it in the freezer. When you’re ready to thaw, it takes a good 4 hours or so in the fridge, so make sure you remove it well in advance.
No-Bake Pumpkin Silk Pie
- 12 sheets graham crackers
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3-1/2 cup melted butter
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 8 oz Cool Whip defrosted
- Crush graham crackers into very fine crumbs.
- Add granulated sugar to graham cracker crumbs.
- Add melted butter. Start by adding 1/3 a cup. If the mixture is not sticking together, add more melted butter tablespoon by tablespoon until it begins to stick.
- Press into a pie pan to form crust.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese and pumpkin together.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Fold in Cool Whip until well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into crust.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.