It’s almost been two years since Dustin and I got married. It was a pretty cool day, and these cupcakes had a cameo appearance. My mom and I made 8 dozen cupcakes to compliment the cake we made. My colors were pink and green, so we went with Strawberries and Cream, Lemon Raspberry, Key Lime, and Red Velvet (this is Dustin’s favorite flavor). My favorite were the strawberry ones. They were lighter than the others, and had a nice summery flavor.
The base is made with a strawberry cake mix and a small package of cheesecake pudding. This gives the cupcakes a nice denseness, as well as adding a gorgeous creamy flavor, which is why I call these strawberries and cream. If you can’t find cheesecake pudding (I find my grocery stores only carry it sometimes), vanilla tastes just fine.
The buttercream is kind of the piece-de-resistance on these. I give instructions for making the buttercream with jam, which I do love, but if you’re interested in another method, you can chop up some fresh strawberries in a food processor and mix a few spoonfuls into a standard vanilla buttercream recipe. This gives you something slightly less sweet, but the icing will also be a bit more watery, so be aware 🙂
- 1 strawberry box cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package instant cream cheese flavored pudding
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Spoon into muffin liners filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until tops spring back to the touch.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp strawberry jam
- Whip shortening and butter until fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and mix.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Mix thoroughly, scraping the edges with a spatula.
- Add in jam 1 Tbsp at a time until frosting reaches desired flavor and consistency.
Don’t forget to pin!