I feel very proud of my title on this one. Boo Brownies is just fun to say – almost as fun as this halloween treat is to eat! The other thing I love about this one is how easy it is. The brownie recipe is none other than my favorite Pauline’s Brownies, and I topped them with some Perfect Buttercream Frosting and candy eyes to get that ghosty look.
Candy eyes are available at Walmart for about 2 dollars in my area, so the cost on these is not huge. They also can be made with any brownie base and white icing you like. Short on time? Brownie mix and store-bought vanilla frosting will still look just as cute 🙂
But please, let me sell you on the Pauline’s brownie recipe. This recipe was a game changer for me. It yields dense, moist, decadent brownies, and it’s made entirely with cocoa. There’s no melting of chocolate in this one. All you melt is the butter, which can be done in the microwave. It’s fast, it’s easy, it’s cheap, and the brownie you get is amazing. Seriously, give this recipe a try. And if you really want to level up your brownie game, try using Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa for an even deeper flavor.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 10 Tbsp cocoa
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- Candy eyes
- Melt butter, then mix in sugar and cocoa.
- Pour cocoa mixture into large mixing bowl, then add eggs, salt, and flour. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In a bowl, beat together vanilla, shortening, and butter.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well.
- Add water 1 Tbsp at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cooled brownies, then press candy eyes in sets of two all over.
Looking for more fun foods? Check these out!
Don’t forget to pin!