My husband does not enjoy desserts that do not involve chocolate. He considers them a waste of time. I, on the other hand, love fruit flavored desserts. This is why I took advantage of his absence at a conference to spend the week making fruity deliciousness. This is not the only fruity dessert you’ll be seeing in the near future!
Anyway, lemon is one of my favorite flavors. It’s light, it passes for both spring and summer, and I love the bright yellow color of a lemon dessert. You just can’t beat that. It’s like sunshine in pound cake!
As for the glaze, feel free to get creative. I like to use orange juice since I usually have it on hand. It’s a great combination of tart and sweet. I also love a combination of lemon and lime for an even tangier option.
This recipe makes one standard sized loaf, or a 9×9 cake. It also makes about 12 cupcakes, 6 mini-loaves, or 4 mini-bundts. It’s pretty versatile and not at all fussy!
Lemon Pound Cake with Orange Glaze
Lemon Pound Cake
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice can add more if desired
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- Mix together eggs, butter, sugar, and lemon juice. Add salt, flour, and baking powder and mix well.
- Add milk to batter and mix until smooth. Pour into greased and floured bread pan.
- Bake at 325° for 45-55 min.
- Allow bread to cool. Mix together ingredients for glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled bread.
You can vary the ratio of orange juice and powdered sugar to make a thicker or thinner glaze.
You can sub lemon or lime juice for the orange juice in the glaze for some different flavor combinations! Adapted from Food.com