We’ve recently hit a recipe rut. Does this happen to anyone else? You’re just tired of eating the same old, same old, but nothing going by on Pinterest really grabs your attention? Well, it happens to me, and lately I’ve been feeling very uninspired.
And then came the idea for these smothered burritos. Now, you should know, my husband makes amazing breakfast burritos. His flavor combo for the filling is both simple and delicious. If you want, you could totally make just the filling of this recipe, add some cheese, salsa, and a tortilla, and you’d have an excellent meal. We’d just eaten this so many times recently, that I wanted something to kick it up a notch. So I decided to smother it.
Which in retrospect, was an AWESOME idea! The green chili sauce added a gorgeous flavor kick that leveled what was a pretty dang good burrito up to “I need to eat this right now!”
And just in case you want to eat this right now, here’s the recipe:
Smothered Green Chili Breakfast Burritos
Eggs, potatoes, and onions wrapped in a tortilla shell and smothered with tangy green chili and melted cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- olive oil
- seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz can chicken (optional)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 chicken boullion cube
- 1 cup water
- 16 oz diced green chilies
- Place all the ingredients for the chili sauce in a large sauce pan.
- Heat until boiling, then cover and reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While chili is simmering, fry potatoes and onions until soft and translucent.
- Add eggs and fry until fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill tortillas with egg and potato filling. Pour chili sauce over and top with cheese.
- The chili sauce will make a lot. We froze it and used it to make these a couple of times. If you do it that way, it really cuts down on your prep time!
- If you're a vegetarian, just leave the chicken out of the sauce.
Adapted from Denver Green Chili
Homan at Home https://homanathome.com/
Want more delicious breakfast ideas? Gotcha covered!
Light and Fluffy Waffles
Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes
Don’t forget to pin!
(Visited 1,943 times, 1 visits today)