Watch out taste buds – your new favorite casserole is in town. This is another one of those “what do I make with what’s in my cupboard” concoctions. But unlike many of those, this one tastes really, really good. We’ve made it four times in the last month, and it’s quickly become a new favorite around here.
It’s inspired by a green chili enchilada, but much easier to put together and serve to large crowds. The recipe below makes one 9×9 pan’s worth of food, but you can easily double it to make a full 9×13. The layering is fun to do, and really doesn’t take long. In the morning, I typically throw a couple chicken breasts in the crockpot with some taco seasoning. They’re ready to shred and mix with the refried beans by dinner time.
Also, although it may not look it, this is actually fairly low calorie. One serving (there are 6 in a 9×9) comes to 290 calories. If you add a nice salad, you’re looking at a 350-400 calorie meal. That’s how we serve it around here!
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can green chili enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup grated cheese
- In a 9x9 pan, spoon a small amount of enchilada sauce. Spread until it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of 4 corn tortillas over the sauce. It's okay if they overlap a little.
- In a bowl, mix together the chicken and refried beans.
- Spread 1/2 the chicken and beans over the tortillas.
- Pour 1/2 the enchilada sauce over the chicken and bean layer.
- Lay the remaining 4 corn tortillas over the sauce.
- Use the remaining chicken and beans to spread over the tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top.
- Top with cheese and bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes.
Homan at Home http://homanathome.com/
Looking for more yummy casseroles? Check these out!
Barbeque Chicken Casserole
Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Bake
Ham and Rice Casserole
Don’t forget to pin!
(Visited 167 times, 1 visits today)