This apple fritter bread tastes like fall. With its warm cinnamon sugar topping, decadent caramel glaze, and the apple bits running through the center of each slice, this is the sort of bread you eat while wearing big sweaters and sipping hot cider. Who needs pumpkin spice when you can have caramel apple?
(Okay, okay, I like pumpkin spice too, which you can see in this cake, these bars, and these truffles.)
Now, to the recipe:
Caramel Apple Fritter Bread
Caramel glaze complements a warm cinnamon apple loaf.
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix.
- Mix in milk until batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together topping ingredients.
- Peel and chop apples.
- Spread half the batter in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover batter with half of apples and half of topping mix.
- Spread the rest of the batter over the cinnamon and topping.
- Top with rest of apples and topping mix.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- While bread is baking, melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar until completely incorporated.
- Add 2 Tbsp milk and stir until smooth.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir.
- Cover and place caramel in refrigerator until bread is baked and cooled.
- Drizzle caramel over finished bread.
- You can also use powdered sugar and milk to make a white glaze, which looks and tastes amazing as well!
- If making mini-loaves, lower the temperature to 325° and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Adapted from The Baking ChocolaTess
Homan at Home http://homanathome.com/
The batter is super easy to make. Start by whipping the butter and sugars, then add in the vanilla and eggs. Next, the dry ingredients, and finish it off with the milk to make everything nice and smooth.
Next, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together to get the topping.
Also, at some point, you should peel and chop the apples. I chopped mine pretty small.
Now, you’re going to eyeball about half the batter and spread it into your greased loaf pan. Top that with half the apples and half the cinnamon sugar topping. It’ll look like this:
We’re not done yet! The second half of the batter needs to be spread on top, then topped with apples and cinnamon sugar. Now you’re ready to bake that baby for 50 minutes at 350° and enjoy the amazing apple aroma that pervades your home.
While the bread is baking, go ahead and microwave the butter for the glaze until it’s completely melted. Mix in the brown sugar and milk, then put your caramel in the fridge to wait for the bread. Alternately, you can use 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp milk to make a powdered sugar drizzle. That’s what we did with this loaf, and it was pretty good:
See the lovely white glaze? Also delicious!
Once your loaf comes out, drizzle it with the glaze of your choice and enjoy a warm, delicious slice of apple fritter bread!
Don’t forget to pin!